Friday, September 12, 2014

a haunting urge



Here I am again.  Each year, as the seasons begin to change and fall is right around the corner, my mind quickly turns to Halloween (even though I rarely do anything on Halloween.  We live too far out for trick~or~treaters and dress up parties seem a thing of the past).  But my mind wanders to things of fright as daylight grows shorter every day.  It's nothing new for me to begin reading tales of horror and digging to find my scary stuffed cat and old baby doll loose body parts to drag out.  I used to bring out collected bones and such but leave them out all year for my own freakish amusement.  I have owl pellets in jars, feathers galore, a coyote skull and bones and even a crow skull that I can't wait to see as it has been decomposing for some time now under an old plastic chicken waterer behind the shop.  I unknowingly placed the head of the crow in a spot where Shaun had dumped a bit of oil and grease so I am leery as to what I will find.  A science project in the making.  It seems ok, when cool nights and creepy full moons roll around, to feel the morbidness of it all.

The book I am currently reading, which is a compilation of scary short stories, is by H.P. Lovecraft entitled "The best of H.P. Lovecraft... Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and Macabre".  I have finished one story and will soon finish the one named "The Dreams in the Witch-House".    Lovecraft was born in 1890 and died in 1937 in Providence, RI and actually never made fame of his writing until after his death living in poverty.  Stephen King wrote " H.P. Lovecraft has yet to be surpassed as the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale."  I can say that I am enjoying the tales as my eyes dance around big words and strange scenes.  I admit I had to look up the word macabre from the title... more for how to pronounce it... and meaning the quality of having a grim and ghastly atmosphere.  Perfect for this time of year.


I also drift back through photos of crafts fairs, my favorite being Bellbuckle which falls on my birthday (October 18th) this year.  The pictures show drops of Halloween here and there with heads, oddities, potions and spells books, witches and crab apples lying about.  Ah... I cannot wait!  I think Aunt Dea should join us for the day!









Maybe it is because I am a fall seasoned baby and Libra or maybe my curiosity just begs me to give in.  Either way, fall is coming.  Deep down I wish we could skip winter and fall straight to spring and that the cold nights of winter's rest would be short and really they are I guess as the years go floating past.  I have always claimed that fall is my least favorite season because winter is right behind it. This post begs to differ.   But as fall brings the death of one year and spring brings forth anew, winter is just stuck in between.

Here's a couple of Eye Spies Widda Mine Eyes for ya. (as one of my dc kids would say)

 I spy... Homer Simpson, a camera lens, 12 dice, a blue moon, an elephant, a pair of glasses, seven pipes and a pair of google eyes.

I spy a pair of crutches, a photo, an oil lamp and a gourd, three bibles, baby shoes, a scared face and sheet music with chords.  

I spy two starfish, two geese, a pitcher, and a black cat with a tail, two thermoses, a tan suitcase, a black hat, Royal Crown Cola and a red fingernail.


Feeling the season too?  Here's more...


2013 post on BellBuckle, TN, Webb School craft fair HERE.

Can't get enough of I Spy??  Here are two more... HERE and HERE

And a little bit of Creepy Thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks