Friday, November 21, 2014

end of the week soup

Since it's getting colder out, since we have left over veggies and since I really do enjoy soup, for the last few weeks I have been totally taking advantage of the three and making soup for lunch on Thursdays at the day care.  Until today I was the only one enjoying it.  I usually only make a small amount for myself but when the kids saw me dipping my grilled cheese sandwich in my bowl they got curious and wanted to try.

I tell you, when I was introduced to minestrone soup my life changed.  Tomato based soup with basil accents and pasta floating not to mention vegetables swimming around is heaven in a bowl to me.  When I make green beans, mixed veggies or carrots as a side at lunchtime for the kids there is generally some left.  I would much rather throw them in a pot and gobble up the nutrients than throw them away.

My soup here consisted of about 1/4 cup tomato juice, 1/4 cup left over pizza sauce, 1/8 cup green beans, 1/8 cup mixed veggies, some garden zucchini  1 cup or more of water and 1/4 cup macaroni.  Bring it to a boil before adding the pasta and stir like crazy once you add it.  Mine always wants to stick to the bottom for a reason that I have yet to figure out.  This makes enough for me to have for lunch and sometimes enough to freeze half for a different day.  Who knows... looks like I will be sharing it more!



1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear another fellow veggie lover has found a way to not waste those little leftovers. My favorite for dinner is to make a pan of oven roasted veggies. Another way to clean out the fridge of extra veggies. Coat them all in evoo, sprinkle with garlic salt and bake on a cookie sheet for about an hour at 375. A little of this and a little of that... put them all in together with 1 sw. potato cut up or a white potato mixed in. Especially like caul., beets and the like.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks