Monday, April 20, 2015

The Oasis

Oasis: 1. An Oasis of serenity amid chaos. 2. A situation 
or place preserved from surrounding unpleasantness; a refuge. 
3. Something that provides refuge, relief, or pleasant contrast.


For my birthday last October I asked for and received a beautiful hammock.  My wish was to hang it in the little-used back corner of our covered porch.  We did hang it last fall but couldn't leave it up long enough to enjoy it it much due to the change of seasons and not wanting to leave it outside during the winter.  The weekend before Easter I asked my Mister to hang it back up for me and he did so gladly.

I dreamed and thought of what I could do in this space around the hammock all winter long.  I knew I wanted some of my houseplants that spend the summer outside to join the corner when it was warm enough.  So when the warmth came I moved several into the space propping one on top of a metal tin for height, some on the floor and on tables and one, that vined out last summer, in a cheery yellow  macrame hanger in the corner.  I left the wicker chair and table in the corner that was already there and added a braided rug underneath.  I moved my wicker chaise lounge and table up in case I had company and also added another couple of chairs around.  The bench by the hammock is very make-shift and is one of two, that I find very useful, that were used when building our house.  They are so handy I couldn't bear to let them get rid of them even if they do have paint and drywall on them.  The one there allows me room to put my music and cold beverage right by my side.  Last weekend I took the notion to hang three strands of one hundred bulb holiday lights around the ceiling of the space.  It illuminates it perfectly.

The fringed hammock combined with my plant friends created what I now refer to as The Oasis.  I adore it's simple tranquility as I relax there listening to birds during the day and frogs at the pond at night.  Last Saturday evening it even became a hang out which I did not expect when creating the area.  Those who came said you could see the glow of the lights coming down the driveway.  I guess that let them know The Oasis was open.  But in my space there's bound to be good music and probably a little incense... you know... to keep the bugs away.

I highly recommend creating an Oasis of you own this year.
















1 comment:

  1. Looks dreamy. I had a secret garden until last year when we built a new house. It was surrounded by trees and tall grass and I had a chair in there where I'd cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete

inappropriate comments will be promptly trashed. thanks